Immunity-Boosting Foods: The Key to Fighting COVID-19
As we undergo the lockdown, we can’t afford to put our health on the back burner. Considering the current crisis, now is a great time to boost our immunity in the best way possible; the natural way.
Some foods are naturally immunity-boosting and help to make us stronger against disease. Of course these include fruits and vegetables, but the list also has nuts and even some spices. So for an all-round and natural immunity boost, just consume the following foods.
- Orange – A good source of vitamin C, minerals and antioxidants. It is essential for a healthy immune system.
- Pineapple – Rich in vitamin C, manganese and disease-fighting antioxidants, pineapple not only boosts your immunity but also helps in maintaining a healthy metabolism.
- Berries – Berries are delicious as well as nutritious. A great source of antioxidants like anthocyanins, ellagic acid, and resveratrol, they help in protecting your cells and reduce the risk of disease.
- Papaya – It contains more than 200% of your daily dose of vitamin C, making it ideal for your immunity.
- Kiwi – Rich in fibres and antioxidants, it’s also a nutritious source of vitamins C, K, E, as well as folate and potassium. Kiwis add not only some sweet and tangy flavour to your life but to your health too.
- Guava – An excellent source of dietary fibre, vitamin C, antioxidants and other vitamins, guava helps in keeping your heart and immunity health.
- Tomatoes – The major dietary source of the antioxidant lycopene, tomatoes have many health benefits like helping in maintaining a healthy heart and reducing the risk of cancer. They are also rich in potassium, folate, and vitamins K and C.
- Carrots & Beets – Introducing them to your diet will help improve your digestive system and will also keep your gut healthy, thanks to the phytonutrients and fibre that are present in these veggies.
- Spinach – The high amounts of vitamins C and K, along with folic acid, iron, calcium, other minerals like potassium, and more make spinach an extremely nutritious vegetable that you cannot afford to miss in your diet chart.
- Cabbage – It is a must-have owing to its impressive nutrient profile. Rich in nutrients like vitamins B6, C, and K, as well as manganese, folate, and more, it is good for both your metabolism and nervous system.
- Cauliflower – High in fibre, vitamin B, antioxidants and phytonutrients, cauliflower is ideal to keep you at a distance from diseases like cancer and to boost your digestion. It also contains choline, which is essential for learning and memory.
- Broccoli – A great source of nutrients like vitamins K & C, along with folate, potassium, etc., it helps in healing your wounds and cuts and protects the body from harmful free radicals.
- Eggplant – Along with the delicious taste of eggplant comes a bunch of health benefits. Rich in vitamins like C and K, as well as minerals like magnesium, eggplant keeps your heart healthy and also helps with digestion.
- Capsicum – An excellent source of nutrition in your diet, capsicum is packed with vitamins A, C, E and B6, as well as dietary fibre – making it healthy for your immunity.
Nuts and More:
- Almonds (soaked overnight) – Soaking the almonds makes it easier for your body to breakdown the nutrients they contain, and reduces the anti-nutrients it harbours – making it ideal for consumption. Almonds contain nutrients like calcium, iron, zinc, etc. and are healthy for your immunity.
- Walnuts – They may surprise you with the health benefits they offer. Rich in Omega 3 fats, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins, walnuts are ideal for healthy immunity.
- Green Tea – It is the only beverage that offers you so many health benefits. Rich in bioactive compounds, caffeine (less than coffee) and antioxidants, it increases your metabolism and lowers the risk of many diseases.
- Lemons – Lemons contain high amounts of nutrients like vitamin C and flavonoids that not only lower the risk of diseases but also boost immunity.
- Garlic – Garlic supplements boost the function of the immune system.
- Ginger – Fresh ginger contains chemical compounds that help your body fight germs.
- Turmeric – Its most active compound, curcumin has many health benefits, such potentially preventing heart disease, Alzheimer’s and even cancer. It’s also an effective anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, and may also help in improving symptoms of depression and arthritis.
In addition to foods, liquids also play a great role in boosting your immunity. They are often overlooked but picking healthier drinks plays an essential role in getting a balanced diet. You must consume 2.5-3.0 litres of liquids a day to keep health risks at a distance. This might seem like a lot but it’s quite achievable if you just sip water every 15-20 minutes. Although plain water is considered to be the ideal, coconut water, freshly homemade citrus fruit juices, milk, buttermilk – they all count.
We all agree that a healthier life is a happier life, and a happier life is a healthier life. So during these adverse times, apart from a balanced diet, what will keep you moving is the company of your friends and family. Avoid stress and enjoy the lockdown period to check on your old bonds and hobbies, self-introspect a little and pamper your loved and dear ones. After all, happiness is the real key to boost your immunity tremendously.
- Article (138)
- News (46)
- Tips & tricks (3)