Diabetes In Children: An Understanding
Diabetes is a chronic medical condition that’s classified as hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia depending on high or low blood sugar levels, respectively. Type 1 diabetes occurs more in children compared to Type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes occurs when the pancreas stops producing a hormone called insulin. Therefore the hormone is administered through insulin injection or pumps. Diabetes is a commonly occurring medical condition, but when it occurs in children (Juvenile Diabetes), it’s a cause of bigger concern.
Getting diagnosed with diabetes at a young age brings difficulties for an entire lifetime. While other diseases show specific symptoms, the symptoms of diabetes take a longer time to develop and are generic. Kids with diabetes experience frequent urination, get exhausted soon during physical activity, and show a sudden loss or gain in weight. All such symptoms raise concerns for parents. Medical professionals with parental involvement can devise a sustainable and result-oriented daily routine for kids with diabetes.
Diet for Diabetes
Children have very peculiar eating habits. So, it is a parent’s responsibility to plan a diet that is not too strict about following and involves the right amount of nutrition.
- In diabetes cases, keeping a check on carbohydrate intake is essential. It is difficult for children to stay away from carbohydrates like white bread, pasta, processed food, and candy. To control carbs intake, measurement of the food while preparation and serving will keep blood glucose level in control.
- Introduce healthy snacking with cucumbers, carrot, and beetroot salads to maintain diabetes.
- Nutritionists advise an exchange- meal plan. This food is divided into six categories which are- vegetable, fruit, dairy, fat, starch, and meat. Serving these in the right amount at separate times of the day will keep your child’s interest in eating a balanced diet.
Diabetes and Exercise
Exercise acts as both an entertainment source and keeps kids healthy. Diabetes affected children can get involved in training and other activities, but parents need to take the following precautions:
- Encouraging your child to participate in sports activities will boost their confidence and not make them stand out from their classmates.
- Extra snacks should be packed for your children when they go to school, parks, or field trips.
- Noting down sugar levels of your child before and after playing or exercising will help you form a proper meal plan and give an idea about the amount of physical activity they can perform.
Medications for Diabetes
For kids with diabetes, glucagon shots are given to raise blood sugar levels.
Insulin products are available in the market, depending on the emergency, such as- Rapid-acting insulin-like, insulin lispro injections, and intermediate-acting insulin.
Administration of insulin in the body can be done using an injection or using an insulin pen. An insulin pump is a device worn externally by diabetes affecting children who have critical insulin conditions.
Awareness for Diabetes
Education and awareness are necessary for the treatment of diabetes. As the symptoms of diabetes are not specific, it can not be detected quickly, especially in children. If the parents of the children have a family history of diabetes, there is a possibility that the child might acquire it from there. Studies have shown that overweight kids are more prone to having diabetes.
For the younger generation, any health complication brings a toll on their mental health. Precautionary measures, lower immunity, inability to perform well in games, and other physical activities make a child stand out in front of others. Firstly, the child should be well aware of his or her medical condition. Involving kids in regular activities as their fellow mates, regularly celebrating birthdays and anniversaries, will lower stress on your kid. Surrounding your child with conscious, attentive, and kind people will give them a healthy and normal childhood. Communication and emotional support will go a long way in improving your child’s overall health.
In cases when doctors are not available immediately, getting diabetes medicine online is a life-saving facility. StayHappi is one such retail and online pharmacy that provides high-quality generic medicine at 30-90% lower prices. StayHappi has an official app for ordering medication online with over two lakhs branded and general medicines.