Why seasonal changes make people fall sick?
During a medical research, it was noticed that grown-ups suffer from cold around 2 to 4 times a year and children around 5 to 7 times. Interestingly, it was noticed that this occurrence coincided with the change of seasons.
- Common diseases caused due to seasonal changes
Every time the seasons change, it causes the number of allergens in the environment to spike up. During this phase, there can be up to 200 viruses in the air! And it is because of these viruses, that people get under the weather.
- Typical symptoms of common cold
When the seasons change, one should look out for these symptoms:
- Watery eyes
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Mucus draining from the nose into the throat
- High fever
- Muscle aches
If you find any or some of these symptoms in you, you should seek medical help.
- The connection between cold and seasonal changes
As mentioned above, the number of viruses present in the air increases drastically when seasons change. It mainly happens due to the shift in temperatures, which creates a conducive environment for viruses to flourish.
- Common viruses found in different seasons
Human Rhinovirus (HRV) is the most common of viruses, responsible for up to 40% of all cold cases. It flourishes in monsoons and winters, when the weather is cooler. Moreover, Influenza is another virus that causes flu when the weather is dry and cold, like in winters.
Even in summers, people with seasonal allergies get itchy eyes and a runny nose when they come near pollen, grass or mould. In such a scenario, their immune system gets occupied fighting these allergens, which makes them susceptible to other viral attacks.
- Preventive measures
Just by following some minor precautions, you can dodge seasonal sickness:
- Getting a flu shot can help you stay protected from around 100 strains of rhinovirus
- Since viruses can survive for up to 48 hours on surfaces, it is recommended to wash hands regularly and avoid touching your face
- Exercising regularly is a good way to boost immunity and lower the risk of getting a viral infection
- Balanced diet, ample sleep and stress management can also help to maintain good health
At the best, you can follow these precautions to lower your chances of falling sick. In the worst case scenario, when you are already showing symptoms, you must consult a doctor or take over-the-counter medicines.
In case you wish to order, you can buy generic medicine online from our website and get free home delivery.